Friday, January 10, 2014

Lucy's Blessing Day

We had scheduled Lucy's blessing day for the first Sunday in January.
It worked perfectly cause my dad wanted to ski and my mom wanted to be here for Christina's baby shower!

We were scheduled to fly out on Friday.
My dad left Wednesday. 
My mom was scheduled to leave Friday about 30 minutes after we were.

We were sitting waiting for our flight, and we saw our plane sitting there.
The attendant then said "Your flight has been canceled due to bad weather in Chicago" (that's where we were connecting).

Well we hussled and got in line to reschedule our flight.
I wasn't really worried, just figured they'd get us out the next day.

We waited in line for about 2 hours. 
In the meantime Alex was on the phone with Southwest. 
He got through with them and they said we wouldn't be able to get out until Wednesday.
Even then I wasn't worried. I figured the person at the desk could get us out.

Well she looked and looked EVERYWHERE and the earliest she could get us out was on Tuesday from a different airport.

We booked that flight but I knew there was no way we couldn't get home.
Everyone was in Utah!

While all this was going on, Christina was looking up flights for us. 
 Most of the flights were $1800.
 She found one flight with 5 seats left, that could get us to Denver for only $250 each. 
We decided we would do that and then rent a car and drive the rest of the way home.

Alex, Lucy, and I got to spend Saturday together in Florida.
That night our flight was delayed so we didn't get into Denver until midnight. 
By the time we got our bags and the rental car, it was 2am.
 Time to push through!


Alex drove some and I slept. Then I drove some and he slept.
Lucy was incredible. She slept the entire time except to wake up and eat.
I was super glad I pushed through the hard times in nursing because it was so easy just to nurse her.

 We made it home by about 10:30 am. 
Mabbie and John were hear.
Mom, Dad, Christina and Connor met us here.
We made it in time for her blessing!

Alex gave her a great blessing and it made me so grateful for the knowledge the gospel gives me.
I'm grateful for my forever family.
I'm so glad I had so much extended family here as well.
We had my parents, one set of grandparents, and my sister here.
Then my awesome in-laws were able to come and even lots of Alex's aunts, uncles and cousins were there.

Lucy's second cousin was also blessed that same day so there was lots of family.

It was a great day!
And her beautiful dress was made by my incredibly talented mother-in-law!
We loved it!
 

1 comment:

The Castletons said...

What a traveling nightmare! So glad you made it back in time, though! And yes, its times like those where its the best and easiest to just breastfeed and not have to worry about bottles and formula! What a special day for your family!